In a prior post about gyms and membership fees, I wondered: Is the cost worth it for “the super high end place that … lets you grunt away in a spa-like environment?” Well, I don’t want to talk about the circumstances, but I found myself in just such a location today. You know the kind of place – where the actual gym serves as a loss leader for the club café. Is this really a better way to work out? You be the judge based on the top 10 most remarkable things I saw:
10. A dealer’s Mercedes parked on front lawn with a sign on the windshield promising special offers for members.
9. A membership requirement that includes an initiation fee, an administration fee and a triple digit monthly fee.
8. An empty Perrier bottle left on the gym floor.
7. Eco-friendly showers that try to create the sensation of a regular shower by spraying a combination of 50 percent air and 50 percent water. (It just takes you twice as long to get clean.)
6. An indoor waterfall.
5. A man near the aerobics rooms balancing on his head.
4. A locker room that includes a Miami sauna and a Phoenix sauna (door on the left takes you into a wet steam, door on right is a traditional dry heat).
3. Plush leather couches stationed outside the hair salon.
2. Mobbed machines.
1. Empty squat racks.